Merseytravel in co-operation with The Mersey Partnership, Arriva and Cumfybus will soon be launching a unique smartcard product aimed at visitors to the city region. The Liverpool Day Tripper Card will launch on 1 June and will initially be available to visitors arriving at Liverpool John Lennon Airport (LJLA). The card will be available in two versions and have full smartcard functionality on the bus services and at the visitor attractions.
A travel version offering the following benefits will be available:
- Return travel on the 501 bus shuttle between LJLA and Liverpool South Parkway Station;
- Return rail travel on the Northern Line from Liverpool South Parkway to Liverpool Central or Moorfields Stations;
- Unlimited travel on CityLink bus services which link all city centre tourist attractions with rail and bus stations.
And a tourism version which offers all of the travel benefits listed above along with:
- One River Explorer Cruise on the world famous Mersey Ferries; and
- One entry to the Beatles Story based at the Albert Dock and Pier Head Ferry terminal.
The Day Tripper card is being launched in two phases; for the summer, visitors will have to purchase the card from www.visitliverpool.com and it will be mailed to their home address and for the rail part of their journey the gates at the rail stations will not be smartcard activated.
For the second phase, which will launch Autumn 2011, the smartcard will be available from both the website and from ticket machines at Liverpool John Lennon Airport and Queen Square Bus Station in Liverpool City Centre. The Day Tripper card will also have full smartcard functionality across all transport modes. By Autumn it is hoped that further tourist attractions will be available to be added to the Day Tripper card.